I am still staying at home today. My cough is still crazy but at least no fever. Somehow being sick feels like a blessing in disguise? Yesterday I was sick, stayed home, temperature was -51 C. Today, still sick, still at home, temperature is warming up but we are still at -41 C. Still crazy cold ? I don’t know whether I can go back to work tomorrow or not, this cough and congested chest is still meh. Big meh.
My youngest will turn 9 on Christmas eve. Not long to go. He so cannot wait for it. I planned to take a day off on the 23 so that I can bake a cake for him. Unfortunately now that I have been home for 2 days so far, I don’t think that would work. Poor baby.
I have a sweet dessert from Indonesia that you can either serve it warm or serve it chilled, topped with crushed ice. Yummo!
1 c black glutinous rice
1 c mung beans
A thumb of ginger
Tons of water, enough covering the rice and/or mung beans (watch the vlog)
3/4 c regular sugar for black glutinous rice (more or less, according to your liking)
1/2 c coconut palm sugar + 1/2 c regular sugar (more or less, according to your liking)
1 can of red beans
1 can of coconut milk
Salt to taste
Sweetened condensed milk
Steps in the vlog ?
Bubur Ketan Hitam dan Kacang Ijo
- 1 c black glutinous rice
- 1 c mung beans
- A thumb of ginger
- Tons of water enough covering the rice and/or mung beans (watch the vlog)
- 3/4 c regular sugar for black glutinous rice more or less, according to your liking
- 1/2 c coconut palm sugar + 1/2 c regular sugar more or less, according to your liking
- 1 can of red beans
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Sweetened condensed milk
- In separate bowls, soak rice and mung beans overnight
- The next day, rinse and dump onto different pans
- Pour enough water covering each rice and beans
- Bring to boil, adding more water as needed, until rice turn into porridge. During the process, add in sugar, adjust to your liking for sweetness
- For the mung beans, bring to boil as well, adding more water as needed. Add in sliced of ginger before boiling, and sweetened it with sugars. Boil until super tender of mushy when the bean is pressed/squeezed with finger
- Drain red beans and rinse, add into mung beans, boil a little longer
- Bring coconut milk to a boil, adding salt to to taste
- To serve, spoon some rice porridge into a bowl, followed with tender mung beans and red beans. Top with coconut milk and drizzle with sweetened condensed milk
- If you like, serve chilled, with crushed ice. Room temperature is good too, warm is delicious as well.