Today’s recipe is not really a cooking or baking recipe but a how to instructions, a useful trick or you can call a tip as well, maybe? On how to make your own salted eggs.
Salted eggs can be used for various dishes in the end, notably served with congee (rice porridge), served with (Indonesian) soup such as Rawon (dark broth soup), can be eaten as is with warm rice, or used inside steamed buns and whatnot.
The best eggs to use are duck eggs, richer in flavor and color, but you can use chicken eggs too, which is more common to find at grocery stores in Canada 😉
And what would you need to make salted eggs? Much like making sourdough bread, only 3 ingredients and that is it. Just need a lot of patience 😁
Click the video to see steps!
Salted Eggs (Telur Asin)
- 12-18 chicken eggs duck eggs would be best
- 3/4 c coarse Kosher salt
- hot water
- Dissolve salt in hot water
- Place eggs into a container
- Pour in cooled (room temperature) salted water
- Cure eggs for at least 2 weeks
- After 2 weeks, boil 1 to see if it’s salted enough for you, if not, wait for another week or so