For the chocolate sprinkles, I use Indonesian product, which is accidentally vegan. The brand is Ceres and it is made of chocolate rather than sprinkles (jimmies) sold in North America. As the confetti, I use Let’s Sprinklez which isn’t available in Canada as far as I know, I got it from Amazon (not cheap though).
Ceres has quite a few chocolate sprinkles products though, and only the Classic that is vegan while the others contain dairy.
Obviously you can top the doughnuts with whatever you prefer!
1 c flour
4 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp mashed steamed yam (1 small yam)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
150 ml slightly warm (not even lukewarm)
1 tbsp vegan margarine
1/4 – 1/2 c flour
Let rest, covered, for 20 mins
Divide dough 75-80 g each for 6-7 portions
Let rest again for 20 mins
Heat enough cooking oil
Make holes on donuts and fry
Eat as is or with sprinkles!
(If with sprinkles, brush warm donuts with vegan margarine so sprinkles will stick on donuts)
Purple Yam Doughnuts
- 1 c flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp mashed steamed yam 1 small yam
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 150 ml slightly warm not even lukewarm nut milk or water
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1/4 – 1/2 c flour
- Mix flour, sugar, yam, active dry yeast
- Pour in milk, mix, add in margarine
- Knead in the rest of the flour
- Let rest, covered, for 20 mins
- Divide dough 75-80 g each for 6-7 portions
- Let rest again for 20 mins
- Heat enough cooking oil
- Make holes on donuts and fry
- Eat as is or with sprinkles!