grilled bananas with sweet coconut sauce
- 400 ml canned coconut milk
- 1 block of compressed palm sugar available at Asian stores, Indonesian or Thai brand usually.
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 screw-pine leaf fragrant leaf, available at Asian stores, fresh or frozen
- 1 can water measure using the coconut milk can
- 1 tbsp flour mixed with 1 tbsp corn starch
- a pinch of salt
- a tsp of vanilla essence
Place 2 peeled bananas on a round baking pan and broil until browning. Take out pan and flip banana, then back to the broil until this other side also browning.
Take out pan, let cool to room temperature for a minute, then press banana with the other pan over it (as shown on picture).
Slice bananas and place on serving plate
Do the same with the rest of bananas. 1 serving plate for 4 bananas each.
This can be done before grilling banana. Serve with warm sauce is awesome, but with cool and/or room temperature sauce is as great.
Bring every thing to a boil except flour mixture and 1/2 can of the water. Once sugars dissolved, dissolve flour mixture in the water and stir in to thicken.
If you are using Thai brand, result of the sauce is often pale than the original sauce should be. As you can see my sauce is on the paler side. You can first make caramel out of your sugar then bring to boil with the rest, if you’d like to.
Spoon some sauce over sliced grilled banana and enjoy 🙂